Happy national ice cream sandwich day! I have been craving ice cream sandwiches lately and what better day to create this recipe than today! Chocolate and coconut is the perfect combo, right!? Plus the cookies are vegan and gluten free which means they are guilt free! The ice cream sandwiches are mini, which makes everything better, and is the perfect size for when you have a sweet tooth! I used a store bought vegan ice cream but you can use any ice cream or even make homemade banana nice cream! I definitely recommend making these and promise they will not last long in your house!
-1 1/2 cup almond flour
-1/4 cup coconut flour
-1/3 cup cacao powder
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
-1/4 cup pure maple syrup
-1/4 cup melted coconut oil
-1 flax egg
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup dairy free chocolate, chopped (I used Go Raw super raw chocolate)
-1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
-ice cream of choice (I used Coconut Bliss naked coconut ice cream)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Make your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flax seeds and 3 tbsp water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl and stir until it is well combined and their are not clumps.
4. Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
6. Spray or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
7. Roll the dough into small balls, about 1-2 tbsp, and then flatten out a little on the cookie sheet. If you want the cookies to be bigger than double each ball, which will cute the amount in half.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
9. Let cool for 10 minutes.
10. Assemble the sandwich by putting ice cream of choice in between two cookies. Makes 12 cookies and 6 ice cream sandwiches!